Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Applying for a Schengen Visa at the Dutch Embassy: What to do?


amsterdam

Hey guys! I just want to share to you my Schengen visa application experience. I think that you will find this post helpful especially to those Filipinos with Dutch partners who plan to visit Netherlands in the future.

I have applied for a Schengen visa twice back in 2012 and 2013 at the Dutch Consulate in Cebu. During those times, the Dutch Consulate in Cebu still accepts visa applications. But now, all application must be submitted in person at the Netherlands Embassy in Manila after making an appointment via VFS Global.

The documents that I had to prepare before and the current visa requirements are more or less the same. I will focus on the documents needed if you have a sponsor in the Netherlands for this was my case.

Here are the documents that you need to prepare:
  1. Duly filled out and signed Schengen visa application form (original and photocopy)
  2. Two recent passport-sized photo that meets Dutch requirement (35 x 45 mm with white background)
  3. Current passport with at least 2 blank pages and at least 3 months valid upon return (make it at least 6 months just to be sure)
  4. International Travel Insurance with a minimum coverage of Eur 30,000 (my partner took care of this one)
  5. Copy of round trip airline reservation (buy your tickets only when the visa is granted)
  6. Letter of Invitation from your sponsor 
  7. A sponsor declaration (Proof of Sponsorship and/or Private Accommodation). This declaration form must be obtained and the signature legalized by the municipality where the sponsor resides. The sponsor must have a sufficient and long-term income.
  8. Bank certificate (if you have a sponsor there's no need to have a huge amount of money in your account)
  9. Photocopy of sponsor's passport
If you are employed please include the following:
  1. Certificate of Employment
  2. Certificate of Leave of Absence 
In addition to the above-mentioned documents, I also made a cover letter stating the purpose of my trip and how I know or meet my partner, secured a copy of my partner's employment contract and payslips. The embassy may ask additional requirements to support your application.Also, secure a copy of all your documents.

Securing all those documents will take much time, so I suggest that you prepare all the requirements a few months before you make an appointment. Having the right documents will give you more chance of getting a visa.

How much is the cost?
For the visa fee click here

A week after my application, I got a package containing my passport with a visa. Yeheey!!!

schengen visa
Schengen Visa

For more information please visit the website of VFS Global and the Netherlands Embassy in Manila

Goodluck with your visa application!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment